Cleancorp co-founder Lisa Macqueen presented 5 rules of expert marketing today at #ICON15. Cleancorp is cleaning company based out of Australia who won the Infusionsoft Small Business ICON Award 2014.
Macqueen’s advice & suggestions were phenomenal – and especially fitting for an event full of 3,000-plus small business owners who often find themselves inundated with the loads of marketing platform at their availability.
Her 5 rules were:
1) Don’t waste money
Make sure your marketing is talking to the right people.
Don’t waste money talking to people who don’t care about your product and aren’t interested in what you’re saying. Everything you send them has to be direct response. They have to click, they have to read, they have to take action – they have to do something for you to market to them.
2) People buy from people
People don’t trust brands & they don’t buy brands.
People buy from you because of who you are, not because of what you do. Be a person in your marketing. Don’t hide behind a brand. Be open & make connections.
3) Pay attention
Pay attention to what is going on now.
Pay attention to what’s working now. Pay attention to new software & technology updates. If you keep your heads down and continue to do things how you’ve always done them, you’re going to look up and see that things have changed and you’re now behind the 8-ball.
4) Think about how the prospects buy – & then automate it
Where do your prospects buy from you?
You really want to get to know your customers through data. Then, you customize the sales process so it best fits their needs and expectations. The more you can automate your sales system in the best way that prospects like to shop with you, the more sales you can expect to come in.
5) You need a SYSTEM (Save Yourself Some Time Energy & Money)
This is where software systems like Infusionsoft come in.
As a small business owner, you’ve got 1,000 things going on – you’ve gotta run the business, you’ve gotta balance out the books, you’ve gotta order product, you’ve gotta wake up early, you’ve gotta stay up later, and, oh yeah, you’ve gotta make some money.
So, your best friend is a SYSTEM that automatizes as many of your online sales & marketing processes. After someone opts in to one of your web forms or clicks on one of your ads or submits an inquiry for help, the follow-up system after that should be automatic.
BONUS: Sally’s 20-Step Follow-Up Process
Here’s an example of a 20-step follow-up process Sally shared. A tremendous model. Scale it to your own business.
- Quote requested submitted on website.
- SMS thank-you message.
- Prospect is sent a quote.
- 1st customer call.
- 1st email – upsell.
- 2nd email – customer testimonials.
- 2nd customer call.
- 3rd email – FAQs
- SMS “gift them something” message
- Shock & awe package – high-ticket item, lumpy mail.
- 3rd customer call – Did you receive our gift? Where to from here?
- 4th email – What’s going on with you? Free offer with closing date.
- Countdown emails until offer expires
- 5th email – 3 days before offer expires
- 6th email – 1 day before offer expires
- 7th email – 1 hour before offer expires
- Send out cards – “We miss you!” re-engagement message
- 4th customer call – call to follow up
- 8th email – Would you like us to close your file?
- Prospect goes into re-engagement & holiday message campaigns
— Juan V Lopez (@JuanVLopez) April 1, 2015
What marketing guidelines do you follow in your small business? Share below!
[button font_size=”20″ color=”#00b92e” text_color=”#ffffff” icon=”twitter” url=”http://ctt.ec/3je3q” target=”_self”]Tweet This Article![/button]